HRC Honda defied the freak weather with Jerez Test
The test result from HRC Honda in Jerez was surprisingly positive. Despite poor weather conditions, the new team led by Leon Camier with Alvaro Bautista and Leon Haslam carried out their test, which had been postponed by a week at the Circuito de Jerez. Kawasaki had already left earlier when the prognoses had turned out to be less than friendly. In the end, it was two valuable days, as the Honda team finally assured us.
The riders’ opinions after the test
Alvaro Bautista: “We have not been very lucky with the weather, it’s been either rain or a wet track, but we finally made the most of a half day, testing some new items HRC has brought for the upcoming season. We were able to collate some useful data and gain some references, and at least give the technicians the indications for them to be able to continue their development work. So with that in mind, it’s been an important and very positive test, albeit a short one. Now we have the direction to follow in order to take the next steps at future tests.“
Leon Haslam: „The weather here has been crazy but honestly, I think this test was very important as we needed to evaluate quite a few things for HRC. Even though we eventually had just half a day, we were able to complete some laps and give the engineers and team the information they needed, and so now they can continue their work to prepare for the next tests. It’s been really good to get back on my CBR, the feeling was good and the new items we’ve tested were very interesting, so now I have even more motivation ahead of my training camp in coming weeks. Hopefully we can test again soon so that we’re well prepared for the start of the season.“
The further tests until spring
Portimao test: 4th – 5th March
Jerez test: 9th – 10th March (Honda only)
Misano test: 15th – 16th March
Estoril test: 24th – 25th March
Barcelona test: March 31st – 1st April
MotorLand Aragon test: April 12th – 13th
Provisional WorldSBK calendar for 2021
It is an absolutely temporary draft with many unknowns. As was to be foreseen early, there should still be some hurdles to overcome before a realistic plan is in place. In addition to aces, the overseas races are currently at risk. We consider premature speculations to be pointless, because a lot can change at short notice due to the pandemic. Donington is planning to have sidecar races instead of the WorldSSP races and Portugal is currently also one of the wobbly candidates due to entry restrictions.
No Comments Yet